9.7.13

Double Review// The Ryn and The Remedy


This morning, while I was still in my sailor stripe pajamas (they are quite comfy, and look all nautical), I was curled up with my nice, comfy, grey blanket, kindle in hand, and finished the second book in this little series.
And smiled my head off at the ending.

These books are simply beautiful in every way, and had me smiling, and clutching at my heart, or biting my tongue in worry more than once.

The moment I began The Ryn, and met my first Cobeld to the end, when a very important event had just transpired (no spoilers, darling), my heart had remained attached dearly to E’veria and it's people.
What natural thought, but to review these two books who have quickly made it to my favorites? And can we just talk about the beautiful cover art? And she is self published! I'm awed.


Publisher Description: 
  The Ryn
DESTINED by prophecy. GUARDED by deception. PURSUED by Love.
Centuries ago, an oracle foretold of the young woman who would defeat E’veria’s most ancient enemy, the Cobelds. But after two centuries of relative peace, both the prophecy and the Cobelds have been relegated to lore—and only a few remain watchful for the promised Ryn.
Finally, a child is born who matches the oracle’s description, but a Cobeld curse accompanies her birth. Led to believe they succeeded in killing the prophesied child, the Cobelds emerge from hiding with plans to overtake the Kingdom.
But the child survived.
Secreted away and called “Rose” for the first nineteen years of her life, Rynnaia E’veri has no idea of her true identity until a chance meeting with an injured knight reveals not only her parentage and true name, but the task assigned her by the oracle: discover the Remedy that will destroy the Cobelds’ power.
Now, her time has come.
Offered the assistance of pirates, scribes, storytellers, a young woman who died centuries ago, and the knight who is quickly working his way into her heart, Rynnaia is fortified with friends. But if the Ryn is to complete her task, she must come to terms with not only who she is, but for whom she must be willing to die. For the kingdom’s survival depends on her.


The Remedy
 PURPOSED by birth. DESTINED by prophecy. REVEALED by Truth.
Now, her time has come.
Having come to terms with her long-hidden identity, Princess Rynnaia E’veri is ready to take her rightful place. But before she can join her father at Castle Rynwyk, she must endeavor to fulfill a 200-year-old prophecy and defeat the Kingdom’s ancient enemy, the Cobelds. Joined by her faithful knight, Sir Julien de Gladiel, and a gifted group of friends, Rynnaia must trek a dangerous path through canyons, forests, and into the very depths of a mountain where, if the prophetic scrolls prove correct, she will face an unknown foe, alone. Treacheries will be discovered, sacrifices will be made, friends will be lost, and love will be tested, but if even one line of the riddled prophecy is misinterpreted, Rynnaia will fail . . . and the Kingdom will fall.
Beginning at the point THE RYN ended, THE REMEDY concludes an epic re-imagining of the classic Grimm fairy tale, SNOW WHITE & ROSE RED, but the Eyes of E’veria series is only beginning . . .

:info to know:
Author: Serena Chase
My recommended age: 13+
Their recommended age: NA
Publisher: Candent Gate
Number of Pages: 380 (The Ryn) and 390 (the Remedy)
 
Characters:
I fell in love with absolutely everyone in this book, aside from the Cobelds, of course.   It was a wonderful crew of new people to meet and watch, and the way Ms. Chase introduces each character is fresh and lively, and never leaves you feeling like you've missed something in transit.    And each character was so entirely their own person, and I could see them each so very clearly in my head, even before I found E'veria's Pinterest Board.  Though, I must admit, the only major differing looks between the way Ms. Chase pictured her characters and the way I did, was in Risson. For some reason, my mind gave him an almost Elvish look, with long blond hair, and, just, like a slightler Thranduil.  Strange, perhaps, I know.
But for everyone else, even though her descriptions weren't bogging and overdone, the way I pictured each character was exactly as she pictured them as viewed in the pinterest board. 

Plot:
There was never a moment when I was bored by the plot.  Ever.  It was fun and lively while still have the carefully moving grace of something that moves gracefully.  I was kept enthralled, and at some places, couldn't put it down (which is why I ate a cold breakfast this morning, because I couldn't get myself to put down The Remedy until I had finished it).

Writing Style:
Ms. Chase writing style is so very very nice.  and thats an understatement.  It has a poetic feel, and just reading it made me want to go out and write something half as beautiful myself.

Ending:
I'm not sure how the end of The Ryn made me feel, because it took all of five seconds for me to start The Remedy after it.  But, I'm just going to say, if you read The Ryn without having The Remedy within five seconds grasp, you will be tormented by what happens next. Because its just that way.
But the end to The Remedy...I loved it. my heart was in a manner of happiness because it was a happy time.  I know, I've read some books, a great many, actually, that when I've reached the end, I've felt desperate. I didn't want it to end, or I didn't feel like it was a good ending place.  But, for better or worse, those weren't the emotions I was struck by at the final turning of the page (electronic, kindle page).
It rounded out nicely, and left me full of knowing that Rynnaia (and a certain someone) were very happy together, and I didn't have to read that to know that it was so.
(However, it left me one very big question, that I am hoping Ms. Chase makes a third book to answer...because, Cazian and his darned cryptic speech is very confusing and must be answered).

World Building:
wow.
just wow.
ok?
just let 'wow' be enough to express what a wonderful job Ms. Chase did in this area.


Language:
None
Drugs and Drink:
wine is drunk on more than one occasion, but never in a foolish way. 
There is a substance called Ebonsworth root which has the ability to bewitch, if you will, whomever consumes it, and it was used a few times by those with ill means in mind. 


Romance and Sexual content:
The romance was actually slow in coming for me. I kept wanting to rush their feelings along, and get them to hug or something, but it was very perfect.
And the first kiss doesn't come until near the end of book two.
that was a spoiler.
but until that point, all the romance is this sort of fluffy oh-goodness-help-my-heart-is-bubbling-with-pink-puffy-cloud-feelings sort of thing and I loved it.
And then, I think Ms. Chase has probably written the most lovely wedding night (oops. another spoiler. I'm trying, ok?) scenes I have ever read. ever. You can read over it, and not even know what it is almost, until you realize its more than, gah this is so hard to explain.
It was pure.
Thats the perfect word for it.
It was pure light.
And nothing a Christian can feel bad about reading.


Violence:
Well, there is a battle, and people die, and Cobelds curse people to death, and so, yes, there is minor violence, but nothing that caused me to cringe, and nothing that would cause me to cringe or cover young children's eyes if it was in movie form. 


Rating:

You don't need me to tell you how much I loved these books, as I hope I made that clear enough through my review above.
It was it was a christian novel, one of the few, that did not leave you feeling bogged down by the preaching.  It was allegorical, and beautiful, and splendid.  And I kinda really need it to come out in print form....*hint*

Without further ado, gladly yea, most gladly, I give a most appropriate:
and I think it (meaning both books, of course) deserve nothing less.

You can buy The Ryn and The Remedy both on Amazon as Kindle reads. 


gfh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.
- Blaise Pascal