8.11.12

18,695

Everybody stands, as she goes by
Cause they can see the flame that's in her eyes
Watch her when she's lighting up the night
-Alicia Keys: Girl on Fire

I am a survivor of the first week of NaNoWriMo!
And not only have a survived, I think I might have thrived....
You can view my novel's synopsis HERE.


So, this has been my first year doing this enterprise, and I had some concerns and and many hopes.  Of which some have been:

1: I would run out of inspiration
That, I am finding, isn't proving to be much of a problem.  True, I'm not like having flowers come from my head, and spilling inspiration from my eyeballs, but I haven't lost any night's sleep tossing and turning becuase I don't know what to do next in my book. 

2: I wouldn't have enough support
Again, that was a useless fear.  This Lovely made a FB support group in which I got added.  And, it has proved to be a life saver. We have people to applaud as we cross WC goals, help when we hit those plot holes or bumps, and whenever we have an especially delightful piece of work, someone to share it with.  It has really been a wonderful idea.

3: My Family wouldn't understand my need for space and quiet
I'm not going to say my family don't understand the complete needs of the species of Writers. They try. They honestly do. But, they don't get it.  And I was very much afraid they wouldn't understand this challenge.  But, they've been pretty good. My Mom didn't fuss when I hermited up on our weekend vacation and typed away. My Brothers have taken up helping with the littles. And, well, the little girls don't completely understand. But, when you are only 7, can you be expected to know how important 50,000 words can be?  Granted, Shauna got frustrated when I refused to hand the computer over so they could watch Jericho one night, saying she didn't "Understand what so important with this stupid contest thing. You don't even get a prize!"
So, it's been good. They are trying, and I'll let their few misunderstandings slip.
Though, I did nearly have a heart attack when Mama asked if she could edit my NaNo novel this December. How do you tell your Mother, who means well, that you frankly, do not want ANYONE, including her, touching that word doc for at least another two months?

Those were pretty much my only fears, and I've managed to work past them all.  I've been kept in supply of Earl Grey, and My Dad has understood when my nights go way late.  As long as I'm ready to get up at 6AM the next morning, I may stay up as late as I so desire. 

I've made a lot of new friends, and grown a lot in this week as a writer.
I'm understanding just how much of a drag an inner editor can be.
I'm falling in love with my characters.


Word Count: 18,695
Chapters: Seven
 Pages: 32
Status: About to kill a character


I know. Weird mix. But, eh, it works.

So, how are you wrimos getting along?

The Girl who-Oh never mind.
Ashley.

P.S. I now have a twitter!!!!!! I know, maybe I should add more exclamation marks?
Anyway, you may now find me on @Ashleytahg.  The girl with the Chevron background and Unicorn header? Yep, that would be me.  If you follow me, beware, I post really random and odd and spontaneous things. 
Anyway, (Second time I said that...) I would love to follow your guys as well! I got it to keep in touch with my 'fans' (Yeah right...followers...). So, uh...yeah. 
Whats your usernames on the tweeting place? 



1 comment:

  1. Woooooo!!!! You go girl! I have the same issues with my sisters understanding nanowrimo; except they are older then me. Keep going you can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Kind words do not cost much. Yet they accomplish much.
- Blaise Pascal